I got him a very boring boot liner for his car, and last night I made him a phone cover. I never seen the point in phone covers, they are a bit fiddly for my liking. I just like to lift my phone when it rings and answer it! But my Dad does use a wee dust cover bag with a drawstring for his when its in his pocket so I thought he might give this new one a go.
I checked out a couple of tutorials online but it was 10o'c at night and they made my head hurt a little so I took the general jist and gave it a whirl.
Ta Daa! Here is the finished item
I had a few problems making it. The seams are a bit bulky. I used a fleece on the inside and I'm sure I could have avoided the bulky seams but haven't worked out how yet! I used the embroidery option on my Janome for the tab and embroidered onto herringbone tape. Also, the velcro on the inside is a little wonky but at that stage I couldn't go through unpicking the whole thing to sort it out!
In fact, looking at the photo here it is embarrassingly wonky! Ah well. I fully intend to make him a new one at some stage which will be better.
I used the Alexander Henry Spotted Owls in Smoke from the shop. Its very hard to pick out a 'Dad' fabric but I think this works ok.
Here are a few good tutorials that might be useful if you decide to make one yourself. If I can rework this one well enough I'll maybe try and do a tutorial for it myself.
Hopefully his phone will fit, as I didn't actually measure it....